Montag, 17. März 2014

She Past Away - Belirdi Gece (2013)


Tracklist:
1. Sanrı
2. Ritüel 
3. Monoton
4. Kasvetli Kutlama
5. İnsanlar
6. Belirdi Gece (Musallat)
7. Ruh
8. Kemir Beni
9. Bozbulanık
10. İçe Kapanıs


I absolutely love everything related to post-punk and/or coldwave. There's something about these genres that fills my heart both with joy and sweet melancholy. The music paints images of urban desolation and angst, but at the same time it creates an antithetic atmosphere of joyful simplicity. It's monochrome, bleak, yet utterly beautiful.

She Past Away is no exception to that. Once again recommended by Spotify, I firstly listened to their debut album on my nightly way home in the metro which turned out to be a perfect setting. As is usual in this genre, the drumming follows rather simple, thus very catchy and danceable patterns. Which really stands out on "Belirdi Gece" is the perfect use of synthesizers without sounding too cheesy and the reverberating, atmospheric guitar melody lines. I seldom listened to a release so packed with tunes you catch yourself whistling over and over again in your head. The vocals, too, do their part since singer Volkan Caner has a very distinctive, deep voice and the turkish language has its very own melody (though I have to admit that I don't understand a single word that he's singing).

My favorite tracks are by the way 'Sanrı', 'Ritüel' and 'Kasvetli Kutlama', although I don't think there's any particularly weak song on this record.

Recommended If You Like: Soror Dolorosa, Der Noir, Joy Division, Lebanon Hannover

Turkey, 2013
Post-Punk, Coldwave

4.75/5.0

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...